When we go to the zoo, we love to visit the giraffes! They are such majestic and beautiful animals. If we go at the right time, we get to head to the feeding deck and feed them goodies before checking out the other animals as well! It only makes sense to make a cute giraffe craft with the kids after a trip to the zoo. Check out how simple this craft is and how much fun kids will have to create their own.
Materials Needed to Make a Giraffe Craft
The great thing about the crafts on my site is that they require very minimal supplies. This craft only requires colored cardstock, scissors, and glue! You’ll also need a printer to print out the templates. Sometimes, we get silly and add googly eyes instead of paper eyes as well! Get creative!
How to Make a Giraffe Craft
Begin by printing your giraffe craft template onto colored cardstock. Then, cut out the template pieces. Next, you will glue the pieces together. Add the mouthpiece, spots, ears, and horns to the main part of the face. Finish by adding the facial features.
Instead of printing on colored cardstock, print the template on plain white paper and let the kids color their own giraffe craft. This will give them extra fine motor practice while they work, and you will get tons of personalized giraffes to display around the room.
Take a look at the video at the bottom of this post to see how the giraffe is assembled!
When to Use a Giraffe Craft
Crafts don’t always have to have a rhyme or reason. Sometimes they are just fun to create on a rainy day. This giraffe craft serves multiple purposes, but here are some ways you can use it.
- Prep the craft to use after a fun trip to the local zoo.
- Use the craft to build fine motor skills and finger muscles.
- Put the giraffe craft out as a morning work activity to keep kids occupied as they enter the classroom.
- Save the craft for a rainy day when you need something to do with the kids.
- Pair the craft with a writing activity about giraffes.
- Read a fun story about giraffes before completing the craft.
- If your kids love crafts, use them as a reward or celebration!
- Use the giraffe craft to talk about the letter G and the sounds it makes.
- Make a whole zoo display on your bulletin board using the zoo crafts below.
Fun Giraffe Books
Reading is a great way to immerse your kids in what they are learning about. Pair the craft with some of these fun books!
- The Giraffe Who Found Its Spots by Adisan Books
- Neck & Neck by Elise Parsley
- Giraffe Problems by Jory John
- A Giraffe and a Half by Shel Silverstein
- Giraffe in the Bath by Russell Punter
- Geraldine by Elizabeth Lilly
Check out this video to see how easy it is to prep and create the giraffe craft with your kids!
More Fun Zoo Crafts for Kids
Zoo crafts are such a fun way to commemorate a trip to the zoo. If you want to create a whole zoo full of animals at home or in the classroom, use the crafts in this Zoo Craft Bundle. There are seven different zoo animals to choose from, including the giraffe craft, a monkey craft, a lion craft, a hippo craft, a zebra craft, an elephant craft, and zookeeper crafts! The zookeepers are essential to caring for the animals, so you can’t leave them out!
I hope you have tons of fun creating these crafts with your kids. Be sure to share your completed giraffe craft activities with me on social media. Happy Crafting!
FREE CRAYON BOX THAT TALKED CRAFT
Join the list and this craft will come to your inbox right now!